The start date for the Georgia Swarm Youth Box League (YBL) is right around the corner! The YBL features incredible value and top-notch skill development from pro players that is designed for the young lacrosse athlete in the Atlanta area. YBL Directors Drew Petkoff (Swarm Defenseman) and Nick Sagraves have put together a comprehensive box lacrosse development course that will also translate to more outdoor success.
All games and skill sessions will take place in two-hour time blocks on Saturdays in November (5th, 12th, and 19th) with a weekend off for Thanksgiving and a final session to be held on Dec. 3rd. The first hour of each session will teach the athlete fundamental box skills (offense, defense and goaltenders). The second hour will feature a structured game that will focus on the skills learned in the previous hour as well as a controlled scrimmage.
The Age and Time break down as follows:
All YBL athletes will receive Swarm Tickets that they can use for select 2017 home games, which will include a YBL Night! Our YBL Night will give YBL athletes the opportunity to play during halftime of a Georgia Swarm game.
Backed by a professional sports team, the YBL truly offers an unmatched lacrosse experience and tremendous skill development, and the best introduction to BOX lacrosse for our Atlanta area athletes.
DIRECTOR OF YOUTH BOX LEAGUE
Drew Petkoff Bio:
- Defenseman with the Georgia Swarm
- 6-year NLL pro with Georgia, New England, Buffalo and Toronto
- Has played in two NLL Champion Cups (Toronto, 2010-11)… Won the title in 2011
- Two-time Mann Cup Champion with the Brampton Excelsiors from 2008-09 (Canada’s indoor championship)
- 2006 Founder’s Cup Champion with the Oakville Buzz (Jr. Lacrosse in Canada)
- Georgia Youth and High School Field Lacrosse Coach
- Hometown: Hamilton, Ontario
What is the YBL?
- The Swarm’s Youth Box League (YBL) gives local associations and individuals in the metro Atlanta area the opportunity to play real box lacrosse in a league
- The Swarm organization founded its YBL program in 2009 while the team was located in the Minneapolis/St. Paul market. Over its seven years in Minnesota, the YBL became the country’s largest box lacrosse league and featured over 1,200 participants.
What is the BLA?
The Box Lacrosse Association of America was founded in 2013 with the goal in mind of giving youth players the opportunity to play REAL BOX LACROSSE in a safe and competitive environment.
Play like the Pros! The BLA rulebook is based off the National Lacrosse League and Canadian Lacrosse Association rulebooks
YBL Notable Rules
- 30 second shot clock
- Quick play on turnovers
- Controlled (legal) cross checking allowed
- Diving into the crease is allowed
- Allowed to pull the goalie for extra attacker
- 10 seconds to get over half field
- Off ball contact
- Penalty times changed to NLL style
- No regular season ties, immediately to a SHOOT OUT
- CLA approved helmets will be allowed (box helmets), but players may use their field lacrosse helmets.